Explore our collection of online resources and databases, all with free access via your library card.
The award-winning ABCmouse.com curriculum is designed to help young children (ages 2-7+) build a strong foundation for academic success. ABCmouse.com is 100% educational, with more than 4,000 learning activities across all major subject areas: reading, math, science, social studies, art and music. Best of all, kids love it. And it’s free to use through the library. From Age of Learning, Inc.
Archives Unbound presents topically-focused digital collections of historical documents that support the research and study needs of scholars and students at the college and university level. Collections in Archives Unbound cover a broad range of topics from the Middle Ages forward-from Witchcraft to World War II to twentieth-century political history. Collections are chosen for Archives Unbound based on requests from scholars, archivists, and students.
Access Gale’s Archives Unbound here.
Brainfuse JobNow/VetNow supports job seekers, veterans, and their families with all stages of job searching, employment transition assistance, navigating the VA bureaucracy, preparing for standardized tests, and building marketable academic skills.
JobNow/VetNow includes the following features:
- LIVE ONLINE NAVIGATORS: VetNow Navigators are trained to help veterans and families connect with valuable benefits and resources.
- JOB TOOLS: Designed to help with all stages of the job-hunting process, VetNow’s Job Tools feature career coaching, expert resume assistance, live interview preparation, and more.
- LEARNING TOOLS: Users build academic skills and prepare for college with VetNow's array of tools.
- ADULT LEARNING CENTER: The Adult Learning Center provides foundational, career-enhancing skills to job seekers. Also, the Adult Learning Center offers test preparation (including the GED and the USCIS citizenship test) and a unique academic skills center featuring live, online tutors.
Online content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, ProQuest research databases, and TeachingBooks.net are available — at school, at home, in libraries, on laptops, on phones — to all.
These three databases are provided for all California students from the California State Library.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (PreK-12)
A comprehensive interactive resource for research and learning for grades K-12. Includes correlations to California Content Standards and other valuable teacher resources. Post links directly to each school level, elementary, middle or high.
Coursera offers more than 3,000 cutting edge courses, taught by top instructors from 190 of the world’s leading universities and organizations. Coursera will enable you to:
- Master the most in-demand technology and business skills to excel in your role
- Enjoy an engaging and interactive learning experience with leading instructors
- Work at your own pace with bite-sized sessions and a self-paced learning model
- Earn university-accredited certifications in industry-vetted disciplines
GetSetUp is the largest and fastest growing online community of older adults who want to learn, connect and do wonderful things. The platform offers live classes taught by peers who are experts in their field, social hours hosted by community members, and special events with speakers who directly address areas of interest to older adults. Classes are taught in English, Spanish, Hindi and Mandarin.
Learning Express is an online learning resource for academic and career development. Work on basic skills improvement in reading, writing, math, and basic sciences and test preparation for academic and career testing. It features a new tutorial and test-preparation platform, with easier access to skill-building resources and new features designed to help students and adults prepare for success in school and in life.
LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com) is an award-winning online learning site taught by recognized industry experts, offering more than 3,000 courses and 150,000 videos on business, technical and creative skills. Videos, tutorials, and courses are offered in the following languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, and Portuguese.
LinkedIn Learning is free and easy to access with your library card and PIN.
Northstar Digital Literacy defines basic skills needed to perform tasks on computers and online. Online, self-guided modules assess the ability of individuals to perform tasks based on these skills. Included are basic computer digital literacy standards and modules in three main areas:
- Essential Computer Skills - Basic Computer Skills, Internet Basics, Using Email, Windows OS, Mac OS
- Essential Software Skills – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs
- Using Technology in Daily Life - Social Media, Information Literacy, Career Search Skills, Supporting K-12 Distance Learning, Your Digital Footprint.
NoveList Plus is a reading recommendations database. It is a comprehensive source of information about books that includes expert recommendations, reviews, articles, lists and more. NoveList has reading recommendations for both fiction and nonfiction, for all ages. NoveList's expertise in books and reading means that you'll always get the best help for finding just the right books.
Skillshare is an online learning community with thousands of classes for creative and curious people, on topics including illustration, design, photography, video, freelancing, and more. On Skillshare, millions of members come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey!
Fact Cards are a series of research resources designed for quick reference for students in grades 4 through 8. The topics covered by Fact Cards are those California, United States, and World topics included in the social studies curriculum in California. For the past ten years, printed Fact Cards have been used extensively in California elementary and middle schools, as well as in public libraries.